Normally I shy away from this type of book, but thought would give it a go! Sometimes we need to exercise the same bravery when it comes to trying something that falls outside of your normal reading sphere. There were a lot of great tips and insight for those at an early career stage, but some great reminders for the more seasoned professional. Picking out the 3 nuggets from the read…
Big Messages/Key Quotes:
- Some doors open with a strong push
- When looking for a “new door” career wise be forensic in your search, and don’t restrict yourself to the comfort zone
- Find people in your organisation that you can get help from- but be selective, these allies also need to be influencers
- Get blooming when you are plucked
- Any new role can be daunting. The more you feel you are in over your head, the more you need to dig in and apply yourself
- Learning what not to do is just as important as doing the right thing. Learn from those that are perceived to be not so great leaders
- Eye on the prize
- The key thing on managing your package in every situation involves keeping your boss very well informed of what your are doing. If you can show your value, a package discussion becomes easier
- Be clear on how your boss defines success…and align!
- Keep an eye on the market so you continuously benchmark your worth
Why read this book?
If you are looking to kick-start your career, or thinking about how to research your next steps, this is a really great source of navigation. Written in a simple and easy conversational style which works well in landing the message